With the threat for below zero wind chills and expected snow across the Ponca City Public School area in the next few days, PCPS officials want to remind parents and guardians that a decision on whether or not to close school will not be made until 6 a.m. the day in question. If parents have checked all district notifications and there has not been an announcement to close school by 6 a.m., parents should assume that school will be in session. The district will post information on the main district Facebook and Instagram pages and send out app notifications. If the roads are clear and it is just cold, please expect that school will be in session. If the wind chill is below zero, PCPS will open up our school sites at 7 a.m. If you have to drop your children off before the building opens, please make alternate arrangements.
Specific site listings if the wind chill is below ZERO:
- Garfield Elementary will open the northwest back door at 7 a.m. on the days when the weather is below 0. This is the bus loading side of the building.
- Woodlands Elementary will open the front doors at 7 a.m.
- Liberty Elementary will open the west doors beginning at 7 a.m.
- Union Elementary students need to go to the southwest doors by the cafeteria if arriving at 7 a.m.
- The east doors at Lincoln Elementary (between the school and WMS) will be open at 7 a.m.
- The front doors at Trout Elementary will open at 7 a.m.
- Roosevelt Elementary will have the lower east doors open at 7 a.m.
- The Washington Pre-K Center will have the gym door on the east side open at 7 a.m.
- West Middle School will have the main entrance doors open at 7. Students arriving by bus will go into the gym. Students who walk or are car-riders may enter the main entrance lobby. Breakfast will open at 7:30. Students from both the gym and main entrance lobby may go to breakfast at that time or whenever they arrive at school. Mrs. Huffer will still be at the cafeteria doors beginning at 7:30 a.m. for students who will be entering campus from the west side. For additional questions, contact the office at 767-8020.
- East Middle School will have the southeast cafeteria doors open at 7 a.m. for students to enter on extreme cold days.
- High school students are allowed to enter the main entrance (facing Fifth Street) on extremely cold days.
On cold days, please make sure that all exposed skin is covered with gloves, scarves, caps and coats – especially for students who walk to school. Let’s all work together to keep our students safe!!