MyHometownPost Brands

Ponca City Fire Department shares reminder as temperatures warm up

SHARE NOW

As temperatures are getting warmer the Ponca City Fire Department would like to remind citizens to be extra vigilant in activities that may lead to accidental fires, including improper use of barbecue grills and improper disposal of hot ashes from barbecue grills or carelessly discarding smoking materials.

Barbecue grills, gas or charcoal, smokers or other open flame cooking equipment used outside should not be operated on balconies or located with 10 feet of any combustible materials.

When lighting charcoal, you should always use charcoal lighter fluid, NEVER gasoline. Gasoline can flash causing serious injuries to anyone in the area of the flash. It is suggested that you have a fire extinguisher or garden hose available while the fire is going.

Hot ash and coals should be placed in a non-combustible container until cooled or they should be saturated with water before being thrown away.